Did you know?
Addiction to alcohol or other drugs is a chronic illness that can often get worse and can even kill the person.
Symptoms of addiction
- Lack of control over one’s chemical use
- Preoccupation with alcohol or drugs
- Continuing to use despite negative consequences to one’s life
- Distortions in thinking, including denial
What can I try?
- If the person is in danger, or experiencing a possible overdose, dial 911.
- Let the person know you are concerned about them. Do not bring up the subject when they are under the influence, however.
- Offer help connecting them to resources.
- If they deny a problem, or are resistant to seeking help, see if they will at least visit a doctor for an evaluation.
- Offer your support throughout the process of treatment and recovery.
Who can help?
Need more help?
If you are unsure of what to do next and need more help, contact
Pathways to Wellness at 218-365-7929
to be connected with a Care Facilitator.